World Nomads Rough Guides Travel Writing Contest is open
Thais Chalencon, MatadorU alumna
From the announcement:
“* We’ll fly you to Singapore from your country of residence.
* After spending two days learning the ropes with mentor Richard Lim, you will have a chance to explore this bustling, progressive city for two days on your own. In this time, you will research, review and update essential travel information for ‘The Rough Guide to Singapore’, including accommodation, bars & restaurants, cultural sights and activities, tours, and transport, as well as searching out those local secrets that travellers want to read about. On your final day, you will meet back up with Richard to go over your work together.
* Your mentor will be at hand to offer guidance, but essentially this is your assignment; you will travel on your own for this part of the journey so you must be comfortable travelling solo. Richard will assign you a specific area based on your travel experience.
* Your work will feature in the new edition of ‘The Rough Guide to Singapore’, placing your foot firmly in the door of the elusive travel writing industry.
Along with your work on the ‘Rough Guide to Singapore’, you will be required to keep a daily travel journal on WorldNomads.com (no less than 200 words per daily entry) to share your adventures through Southeast Asia. Your journal should be completed no later than two weeks from returning from your trip.
Who can apply
* This opportunity is open to students, emerging and non-professional writers and lovers of travel looking for a career change.
* The scholarship is open to all nationalities, however, you must have a high degree of proficiency in written English.
* The opportunity is designed to give you a taste of what it’s like to be a travel writer on the road, so you must be comfortable doing some travel on your own.
* Minimum age 18 by the date the scholarship application close (April 23, 2012)
* A current passport with at least six months before expiry
* You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in anyway, you must be available for the entire assignment.
* You should be an exceptional writer with a lust for adventure travel, a desire to experience new cultures (and eat them!)and above all, a burning desire to become a professional travel writer.”
For more information:
Check the full announcement here.