Take better travel photos
MatadorU’s travel photography courses will equip you with the skills and knowledge to create compelling and publishable imagery.
- Faculty feedback on all course assignments*
- Opportunities for one-on-one workshopping with editors
- Access to paid market leads and press trips
- Lifetime access to course material
What is the MatadorU Travel Photography Program?
MatadorU’s Travel Photography Program is made of two courses:
- Fundamentals of Travel Photography
- Advanced Travel Photography
Fundamentals of Travel Photography builds a strong foundation of primary skills centered around:
- Unlocking the power of your camera
- Understanding exposure: Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO
- Creating compelling compositions
- Taking advantage of the best lighting situations
- Editing images
- Putting a portfolio together and publishing it online
Advanced Travel Photography provides rigorous training in storytelling through photography and the business of being a professional photographer:
- Compiling publishable photo essays that tell a complete story
- Preparing for and working in the field
- Advanced techniques in post-processing
- Developing your brand, marketing it, and networking
- Pitching editors and publishing your work
Which course is right for me?
If you don’t have a working online Portfolio, and/or if most of the questions below apply to you, you should consider the Fundamentals course:
- How do I get off of Auto?
- How do I take more control over my images, creatively?
- What is exposure, and how do aperture, shutter speed, and ISO relate to it?
- What are the best lighting situations to take photos in?
- How do I correct when photos are coming out too bright or too dark?
- What do I need to know about basic compositions?
- How can I improve my focus?
- How do I read a histogram?
- What are the different genres of Travel Photography?
- What should I be looking for when I edit my images?
- How do I take my best photos and make a Portfolio?
The Fundamentals course will get you confident with your camera, help you create your online Portfolio, and give you the foundation you need to break into and pursue Travel Photography as a hobby or the start of a new career. Whether you travel a lot, or a little, this course will help you take creative control of your images!
If you have a working portfolio and photographic experience, and if you’re comfortable with most or all of these terms and ideas, consider the Advanced course:
- The Exposure Triangle
- Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO
- Over and Under Exposing
- Rule of Thirds
- Focus and Recompose Method
- Shallow, Medium, and Deep Depth of Field
- Familiar and Comfortable with the basics of Lightroom and Photoshop
- RAW vs Jpeg
- The Basics of Social Networking
- Selecting and Curating Your Best Work
The Advanced course will focus on storytelling and the art of the Photo Essay, advanced compositions, advanced editing, advanced researching and planning, making money, pitches, press trips, working on location, and publications — and much more. It won’t, however, spend much time reviewing or teaching the above topics, which are covered in the Fundamentals course.
Choosing the course that best fits your skills right now will help you stay engaged and keep you from feeling overwhelmed and frustrated.