Tell Better Travel Stories
MatadorU’s travel writing courses will teach you how to be a compelling storyteller and professional travel writer.
- Faculty feedback on all course assignments*
- Opportunities for one-on-one workshopping with editors
- Access to paid market leads and press trips**
- Lifetime access to course material
What is the MatadorU Travel Writing Program?
MatadorU’s Travel Writing Program is made of two courses: Fundamentals of Travel Writing, and Advanced Travel Writing.
Fundamentals of Travel Writing builds a strong foundation of primary skills centered around:
- How to craft a travel story
- Becoming versatile with different forms: social commentary, narrative, personal essay
- Travel Journalism 101: researching, interviewing, quoting, citing
- Developing a personal brand and following
- Pitching editors and collaborating with other writers
Advanced Travel Writing provides rigorous training in narrative nonfiction and travel journalism centered around:
- Recognizing the enemy of travel writing: Objectification of cultures and characters
- Writing on more controversial or difficult subjects
- Best practices when you’re on assignment
- Pacing, structure, and transitions for long form / feature stories
- From media trips to collaborations: Thriving as a travel writing in the digital age
Which course is right for me?
If you can answer the following questions without too much difficulty, consider the Advanced course:
- In what tense and POV did you write your last narrative?
- Why did you choose that particular tense / POV?
- What kinds of questions have you asked interview subjects?
- How do you choose what to leave in and what to cut from a story?
- What are the most effective ways for you to present characters?
- How do you transition from action to description to exposition in your narrative?
If you find the following questions more aligned with what you think about in your writing, you should consider the Fundamentals course:
- How do I create a story from my latest travel experience?
- How do I begin / end my story?
- What makes the kind of story people want to read and share?
- How do I get better quotes in my stories?
- What information do I need to make sure my story is complete?
Choosing the course that best fits your skills right now will help you stay engaged and keep you from feeling overwhelmed and frustrated.