Forums General PHOTOGRAPHY 2017: Year of COLLABORATION

2017: Year of COLLABORATION

So far this year I’ve been telling all my top contributors the same thing: make this the year of  collaboration. visual storytellers–photographers, filmmakers, etc.–need to connect with writers (and vice versa), and then go out on missions where you work together–collecting both pictures / video and writing. When you can approach editors with a complete ‘package’ of strong media assets as well as solid story, it immediately pushes your work to the to the top of the queue.

This community is a perfect platform for connecting with writers. If we can all take more action this year in terms of reaching out and collaborating, there’s no telling the kinds of stories we can create.

Here is a recent case in point. Photographer Brian Nevins took some incredible images at Standing Rock. But a whole audience of people never would’ve seen those shots if it hadn’t been for his collaboration with writer Nikita Nelin: https://matadornetwork.com/network/building-agreements-vision-standing-rock/

Would love to hear from photographers right on this thread: Who, if anyone, would you like to collaborate with? What kinds of story ideas would you go for? I’m happy to facilitate as much as possible.

View Profile 2017-01-07 10:51:49 PST

Thanks for calling this out, David. Collaboration is a boost for writing improvement. I’m currently based in Shanghai, but I’ll look for photographers or filmmakers to work together. Hopefully can sparkle on some good ideas.

View Profile 2017-02-05 23:21:15 PST